Louisville is home to the Kentucky Derby and the Louisville Slugger but it also has many other very interesting facts that most people are not aware of.
1. The Old Fashioned cocktail originated in Louisville. It was invented at the Pendennis Club in downtown Louisville. It is made with bourbon of course and angostura bitters, a little sugar and garnished with an orange peel. Very good and very potent!
2. The Louisville Slugger was originally a famous baseball named Pete Browning. He ran into a slump and asked Bud Hillerich to make a new bat for him. He tried out the new bat and immediately made three hits.
His teammates then wanted new bats too...and so began the Louisville Slugger.
3. Main Street in downtown Louisville has the nations second largest collection of fabulous cast iron front buildings...only SoHo in New York city has more.
4. Louisville is the disco ball capital of the world. Omega National Products makes the disco balls by gluing tiny mirrors by hand on disco balls. Some are small and some are huge. They came into popularity in the 1970s and are still in demand. Madonna, Kid Rock and Pearl Jam are some of their clients.
5. Louisville had the largest urban forest in America. The Jefferson Memorial Forests is just minutes from suburban neighborhoods. 6,500 acres of beautiful forest where visitors can get away from the city and enjoy fishing, hiking and camping.