Tuesday, March 20, 2012

SPRING TIME CLASSES IN AND AROUND LOUISVILLE


THINKING OF CHICKENS AND MUSHROOMS

BACKYARD CHICKEN CLASS
For several years I have been wishing that I had enough space for a few chickens on the property. In Louisville you can have up to 6 chickens in residential areas. You don't need much space and you don't even need to have a rooster...neighbors appreicate the lack of early morning crowing I'm sure.

And the quality of the eggs is so superior to store bought. I buy the eggs we use here at the Inn from Whole Foods and they are cage free. And when the local farmer's market opens each spring through fall we can get organic eggs from area farmers.

There is a class at Foxhollow Farm March 31 from 9:00am to Noon
Learn everything you need to know about backyard chicken keeping from the expert - Fresh Starts Steve Paradis. Cost is $15 and to register call 502-241-9674.


MOREL MUSHROOM RETREAT
I must say we don't do mushrooms very often for breakfast...most guests like their mushrooms later in the day! But when we cook special event dinners here, then we can get into recipes using organic wild mushrooms. I am not knowledgable enough to pick my own though.

So I was very excited to see information on a Morel Mushroom Retreat coming up Saturday, April 21. The sixth annual retreat is a day long program which includes two full vegetarian meals, a wildflower walk, farm tour and discussion of mushroom cultivation. Plus particpants get to take home recipes and mushrooms!
To register go to this website: www.ForestRetreats.net

No comments:

Post a Comment